Our nurture group provides a modified curriculum in an environment based on the principles advocated by Marion Bennathan and Marjorie Boxall.
The group is an intervention for those children who are unable to access learning successfully in their mainstream classroom. This may be due to fragmented or deprived early childhood experiences or learning difficulties.
Our group runs four afternoons a week; Tuesday to Friday.
Group 1 Tuesday and Thursdays 1.30 - 3.00pm
Group 2 Wednesday 1.30 - 3.00pm and Fridays 1.30 - 2.30pm
We have an experienced member of staff running the groups.
- To provide a small-scale setting in which children can experience nurturing care from two caring adults, who actively work towards enabling their successful reintegration.
- To have a predictable, calm and purposeful environment and timetable, free from curriculum pressures.
- To develop self-esteem and social skills.
- To develop relationships between adults and children, building trust, confidence and reliability.
- To develop responsibility for self and others.
- To help children learn appropriate behaviour.
- To help children learn to make decisions and wise choices through understanding the consequences of certain ways of behaving.
- To work in partnership with parents and teachers to achieve consistency of approach at home and school.
- To provide on-going assessment using the Boxall Profile.
- To prevent possible exclusion.
- To work within the context of our core Christian values which are: Aspiration, Respect, Responsibility, Resilience, Compassion and Community.