At Colnbrook C of E Primary School, our aim is to deepen and strengthen children’s understanding of maths and not just accelerate learning. As a result of this, the children are able to develop fluency before moving onto reasoning and problem solving. The teaching is richly supported by the use of pictorial and concrete resources, before moving to the abstract. All progress that our pupils make in maths is valuable, and therefore offering opportunities for all pupils to deliberately practise their fluency is vitally important and this is a key feature of our lessons.
During their time at Colnbrook, our pupils will learn the following essential skills of mathematics:
- An understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics;
- A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics;
- Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system;
- The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual;
- The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges;
- To embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts;
- A wide range of mathematical vocabulary;
- A commitment to and enthusiasm in the subject.
Each year group will study a variety of mathematical topics throughout the year such as:
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and division
- Properties of shape
- Position, direction and movement
Once children have a grasp of the concepts within a topic, they will have opportunities to apply their learning to reasoning and problem solving questions and activities.
Teachers plan lessons using White Rose Maths resources. White Rose have produced Child and Parent booklets, which follow the methods and strategies that are used in school to help children understand and enjoy mathematics. They are full of the key models and images that help children make sense of their maths learning. The booklets are all completely free and can be downloaded either to a Kindle from Amazon or from clicking here.
Please click here for our Years 1-6 maths curriculum map.