At Colnbrook C of E Primary School, our aim is to deepen and strengthen children’s understanding of maths and not just accelerate learning. The children are able to develop fluency before moving onto reasoning and problem solving. The teaching is richly supported by the use of pictorial and concrete resources, before moving on to the abstract. All progress that our pupils make in maths is valuable, which is why we offer opportunities for all pupils to deliberately practise their fluency in each and every lesson. Once children have a grasp of the concepts within a topic, they are able to apply their learning to reasoning and problem solving questions and activities.
Teachers plan lessons using the White Rose Maths scheme of work and resources.
White Rose have produced a bank of online video tutorials which can help support parents with their child’s home learning. These mirror the lessons completed in school and can also be used for addressing misconceptions, further practise and consolidation. The video tutorials can be accessed by clicking here.
During their time at Colnbrook, our pupils will learn the following essential skills of mathematics:
- An understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics;
- A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics;
- Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system;
- The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual;
- The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges;
- To embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts;
- A wide range of mathematical vocabulary;
- A commitment to and enthusiasm in the subject.
Each year group will study a variety of mathematical topics throughout the year such as:
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and division
- Properties of shape
- Position, direction and movement
If you would like to know more about what Please click here for our Years 1-6 maths curriculum map.